I went on a tour today of Port-au-Prince. Seeing the absolutely impoverished conditions reminded me so much of some areas in the Philippines and in Mexico. However, beholding the devastation caused by the earthquake was a novel and profound experience that won't soon fade from memory. Tent cities huddled en masse right across the Presidential Palace, which itself wasn't spared, was indeed one of the many dichotomous images I have ever witnessed. Hearing stories and insights too from our tour guide, who runs an orphanage with dozens upon dozens of children, weighed my spirit even further. He believes that the earthquake should have been a means to wipe out corruption in Haiti, the true evil. Alas, corruption again proves more resilient as evidenced with the upcoming elections and with how little resources actually come to Haitian hands from certain NGO's. He fears too that Haiti will soon be forgotten on the world stage.
| One of many tent cities sprawled across Haiti - This one is situated right across from the Presidential Palace |
Onto to technical matters, I did manage to restore an ATL ultrasound unit after my blog yesterday. The monitor wasn't receiving power, so I at first developed an AC bypass to feed the display. After adjusting the contrast to viewable levels, I found mostly everything functioned just fine. I then decided to ascertain if a more robust solution could be implemented and to track down the source of the monitor power failure. After removing a rather ancient power regulator board, I discovered a blown AC voltage rail. Fortunately, there was a functional redundant port that was probably designed in for a second monitor. I simply made use of that connector, buttoned up the unit, and voilà!
![]() |
| An ultrasound Doppler image of my bladder, the location of which I knew thanks to my job back home! |
I then took a walk from Radiology to the ICU and picked up a long-term ventilator with no PEEP. After asking numerous questions what PEEP actually was, I started to familiarize myself more with the device. I then got an urgent call to take a look at the X-ray machine again. An ER doc wanted four exposures, but the X-ray tech couldn't get any of the phosphor screens to load. As I am now writing after several hours of eletromechanical troubleshooting, I'd prefer to simply report that there must either be mechanical issue with the screen delivery after taking an exposure &/or the cassettes inserted into the loader are damaged. Considering that this unit along with its cassettes had been sitting out in 120 degree heat back in the days of the Medishare field hospital, I wouldn't be surprised if thermal warping is to blame. ME's, where are you? Mechanical engineering is not quite my forte, so let's say we tag-team this problem?
On a somewhat related note, through all my engineering endeavors, it has been uplifting to work with the mechanical engineer on the long-term staff as well as with various other logistic and healthcare staff. It's been engaging to sound off ideas and observations to both fellow techies and non-techies toward solving the problems we face here in the developing world. The community element is clearly present where the most joyous moments I have experienced have been in the company of kind and generous souls.

No comments:
Post a Comment