This afternoon, I got to go to the J/P HRO field hospital to ascertain whether or not to pinpoint the mechanical failures of the X-ray as we were told that they have a similar system to ours. This new problem has been especially frustrating since today is my last full day here in Haiti. Although the X-ray machine is certainly in much better shape that it was before I came, I would like to see it functioning more reliably before I depart. Sure, we can take as many exposures as cassettes we have, but only being able to successfully load one exposure every hour is ridiculous. If I am able to isolate the fault to the cassette, we may even actually be able to borrow one of theirs in good-will camaraderie!
Two doctors accompanied my engineering counterpart and me. They were transporting two patients with possible spinal, head, and chest fractures. After about forty or so minutes, we arrived at Sean Penn's J/P HRO field hospital, which was being built brick-by-brick over a former golf course. It's actually a tent hospital on a plateau overlooking a magnificent landscape of the grand mountains of Haiti and of the shimmering Caribbean Sea. Downhill from the hospital is a massive tent city of approximately 35,000 displaced Haitians. Security for the hospital was being handled by UN soldiers from Portugal and Brazil.
Upon arriving, we explained our problem and proceeded to the X-ray machine. To our dismay, we discovered that they were using an incompatible system. In fact, X-ray exposures are taken in one tent while the sole cassette they have is walked over across the compound to process the image. My mood sank as I knew that solving the mechanical problem would take much more time than I had left in Haiti.
I needed to take a walk. I ventured to the barbed wire fence separating J/P HRO from the tent city. Walking along the fence's path eerily reminded me of walking along the Mexico-US border. It was with a deep longing, however, that I wish I could have walked among the Haitians, but even if that were possible, crossing the more transcendent barriers would prove more challenging. Spending one week here in the capacity of my vocational desires has no doubt given me some perspectives, but there is still so much to learn and so much to do in accompanying Haiti toward true sustainability.
Such thoughts weighed heavily on my mind during the return ride to Medishare four hours later. Then I considered that given how long X-ray processing takes at J/P HRO, it may have just been better to take the exposures at Medishare and gruel out the equally long process of loading up the phosphor screens. We may have even been able to complete all the scans we needed in less time!
| My wife and me with some of our Haitian friends at Medishare |
Signing off, I am indeed grateful to have been blessed with this amazing opportunity to make what little difference I could. To paraphrase Mother Teresa, "We cannot hope to do great things. Only small things with great love."
Haiti, je dois partir malheureusement maintenant, mais sache ce que je me laisse derrière, c'est pas possible d'expliquer en mots. Donc, sache une pièce de mon coeur reste ici. À la prochaine quand je peux encore faire mon coeur en entier, je t'embrasse très fort!" (Haiti, I must unfortunately leave you now, but know what I leave behind cannot be explained in words. Know then a piece of my heart remains here. Until I can again make my heart whole, I embrace you strongly!")
| See Luke 24:13-33, our wedding mass gospel reading - "Were not our hearts burning?" |
Haiti, je dois partir malheureusement maintenant, mais sache ce que je me laisse derrière, c'est pas possible d'expliquer en mots. Donc, sache une pièce de mon coeur reste ici. À la prochaine quand je peux encore faire mon coeur en entier, je t'embrasse très fort!" (Haiti, I must unfortunately leave you now, but know what I leave behind cannot be explained in words. Know then a piece of my heart remains here. Until I can again make my heart whole, I embrace you strongly!")
1 comment:
for the past 4 years, there are often moments here and there that remind me of why i married you...but this past week, every second of the dedication you displayed (and continue to display) has become all the reminder i need for the rest of our lives. i am so proud of you.
Post a Comment